Boy's Recreation Basketball Director:
Girls Recreation Basketball Director:
The AJAA Basketball Program offers participation in instructional and recreational leagues aimed to teach the game of basketball to players within the following framework:
· Involving everyone in a positive team experience
· Developing fundamental baseball skills
· Building player confidence
· Emphasizing player effort to play well
· Practicing good sportsmanship
· Considering all players as WINNERS regardless of score!
Girls'/Boys' Basketball Grades 1-6:
- Registration closed Wednesday, October 23rd. All leagues are currently full.
- November & December schedules have been completed & distributed to coaches. All coaches should have contacted their players as practices began the week of November 18th.
- If you have not heard from your coach please send us an e-mail. Our Boys’ Basketball Commissioner is Jennifer Lee at email@example.com and our Girls’ Basketball Commissioner is Abbi Holcomb at firstname.lastname@example.org
Boys' Basketball Grades 7-8:
- Registration closed Friday, November 8th. The league is currently full.
- Any player who has not heard from their coach by Friday, November 29th should contact Jennifer Lee at email@example.com
- Drafts have been held and schedules are being distributed to coaches. Practices will begin Friday & Saturday, December 6th & 7th.
- All 7th/8th grade boys' basketball events will be held at Avon Intermediate School West unless instructed otherwise. Please enter ONLY through door #21 which is in the back of the school.
Girls' Basketball Grades 7-8:
- This is a new league for the girls and participation is critical! We must have a minimum of 32 girls register or the league will be canceled. Registration will remain open until December 16th to accommodate the middle school team try outs and the announcement of those teams. You can register for AJAA immediately. Any player who then makes the school team will be issued a full refund as long as we are notified via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than December 16th. Registration fees are $111 per player.
All girl's currently registered for the AJAA 7th/8th grade league are asked to attend evaluations this Thursday, January 16 at 6:30. Evaluations will be held at Hickory Elementary. Please use gym door #7 to enter the building. These evaluations are a very useful tool for us to help divide teams as evenly as possible. We appreciate having your support. Thank-You!
- Practices will begin the week of January 20th.
Boys' Basketball Grades 9-12:
- Registration closed Monday, November 18th after seven weeks of record enrollment.
- Evaluations were conducted Monday, December 2nd (Last names A-K) and Wednesday, December 4th (Last names L-Z) at the AHS. Please enter only through door #31. Check-in will begin at 6:15 and evaluations run from 6:30-8:30 in the main gym. All players will be measured and then receive a brief message about what is expected (good sportsmanship, etc.) and what will not be tolerated (bad language, etc.). Afterwards players will be grouped by position, selected, and sent in to participate in a ten minute, five on five scrimmage. Once evaluated, players are excused. We are asking for everyone to attend evaluations this year!! Parents, please help us to ask our players for their full cooperation so that we may draft teams evenly and fairly. IF you absolutely can not attend on your designated evening (see above), then come to the alternate night.
- Drafts were held Friday, December 6th. Coaches should be contacting players this week as practices will begin Friday, December 13th. The field-house will be very full, so we hope to have your understanding when sending out schedules. PLEASE ask all coaches, players, parents or guests to enter the AHS ONLY through door #28 when attending AJAA basketball practices or games.
- All wait-listed players should have been notified. Those whom we were not able to accommodate were issued full refunds on Monday, December 9th. Please contact our Executive Director (Lisa Brodasky) with any questions at email@example.com
- Please keep checking your e-mail or our website for further announcements. Our league co-coordinators Steve Brodasky & Eric Denton will always be available to help answer any questions or concerns.
AJAA Recreational Basketball Q & A
Why should I register early?
Leagues have the potential to reach capacity. If you wait too long to register you chance your son/daughter’s league being full.
Who do I contact for registration issues?
If you should need any registration assistance, besides the self-help feature provided on-line to retrieve forgotten user names or passwords, please e-mail Lisa Brodasky at firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of the registration deadline. Once you have registered successfully you will receive an e-mail confirmation.
What does the registration fee cover?
Avon gym rental for practices & games, referee’s, jerseys, trophies, equipment, and pictures for grades 1st-6th.
Why have a fundraiser and do we have to participate?
We are a non-profit organization and we rely on generous sponsors and fundraisers to help us make capital improvements. Registration fees only cover the costs of running the programs. This season we will be selling Mike’s Carwash certificates just in time for winter driving. They make excellent holiday gifts for family, friends, neighbors, teachers, etc.
What will my son/daughter receive or learn from the program?
How to become a team player, develop and improve basketball skills. Make new friends and have fun!
What should my son/daughter wear to games?
All players will receive a jersey (covered by registration). We recommend black basketball shorts and tennis/basketball shoes.
Why are there evaluations?
To assist in selecting teams as equally as possible.
Where are practices/games held and what time?
1st & 2nd grade Girl’s – Pine Tree, 3rd & 4th grade Girl’s – Pine Tree, 5th & 6th grade Girl’s – Hickory & 7th & 8th grade Girl’s – Hickory.
1st & 2nd grade Boy’s – White Oak, 3rd & 4th grade Boy’s – Sycamore, 5th & 6th grade Boy’s - River Birch & Cedar, 7th/8th grade Boy’s – AISW & 9th-12th grade Boy’s - High School.
Weeknight events are scheduled between 6:15 and 9:15. Saturday events are scheduled between 8:00 am and 3:00 pm. Days & times will vary from week to week, but schedules will be provided several weeks in advance.
What if I might be interested in coaching?
Any parent wishing to coach should register themselves so we know you are interested. Those coaches selected to coach AJAA basketball will be asked to participate in a coach’s clinic run by the AHS girl’s & boy’s coaching staff. The clinic will offer ideas on how to run practices and help answer any questions you may have in regards to rules, etc. The girl’s clinic will be held on Saturday, November 2nd. The boy’s clinic date & time will be announced shortly.
866 S CR 625 E
Avon, IN 46123